Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Moment, Please, for the Music Industry...

So basically I think the music industry is scum. lol. I'm SOOOOOOOOOO entirely SICK of hearing all these artists complaining about how their music is leaking and how much hard work and effort goes into producing a song/album/whatever. Well now call me silly but...AREN'T THEY RESPONSIBLE/IN CHARGE OF HANDLING THEIR OWN MUSIC?! They're the ones in the studio with the producers and engineers (and prob. about 15 ppl who are always in the room but no one can quite figure out why. I know this from personal experience). The drafts/final copies are burned onto a disc or emailed and saved onto the harddrive of whatever computer they're recorded on. So if the music is leaking, it's the artists/producer/engineers fault...not ours! Take your own music into your own hands and stop being lazy and leaving it up to other people. For YEARS this has been going on.

And I wish artists would STOP fucking putting all the garbage that leaks on official releases with minimal tweaks. Ciara and Toni Braxton are the two worst culprits I can think of for this. Ciara's "Fantasy Ride" album leaked mostly A FULL YEAR before she finally released it last March...with no new material. Toni Braxton's latest cd "Pulse" is another perfect example of this. That's just lazy and frankly, insulting to music buyers like me. I'll fully admit that I download EVERY SINGLE free song I can get my hands on by artists I like...but I'm also the first person to go to the store to buy official releases when they come out...provided they aren't garbage.

I also wish artists would stop trying to sell out for whatever the "in" sound is. Christina Aguilera is a good example for this. I think she's a dope artist. She oversings absolutely EVERYTHING but she can actually SING (which is SO rare) and she has a strong personality. However, she's probably the biggest copycat in the music industry. Her first album was that bubble gum pop that was popular at the time (a la Britney Spears/NYSNC, etc). Her second album was AMAZING but she made it known that she was working heavily with Linda Perry, who was being used HEAVILY by other artists before her and which caused Pink and Linda to stop speaking. Her third album was awful garbage but it capitalized off of the retro sound that was in heavy rotation. Now with "Bionic" she's capitalizing off of the Gaga momentum...and worse, her first two singles (which are awful in my opinion) she didn't even write. Both tracks are written by Esther Dean and produced by Polow Da Don (famous for leaking shit). To her credit, she USUALLY does put her own unique spin on things but her latest effort is just leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Her second single, "Woo Hoo" ft. Nicki (Garbage) Minaj, pisses me off particularly because I think it's sad to see a woman like Christina singing about her girly parts. That shit would've been cute on her second album but now that she's a grown woman and been in the business for so long, it's sad to see her resort to such obvious, overdone and very tired tactics. She needs to put her Woo Hoo back in her pants, stop dying that awful fried blond mop of hair and stop copying Madonna's videos and get back to SINGING.

I'm tired of people hearing that it's the masses who determine what's popular and what kind of music gets made, it's not. If enough artists stood up and did what they felt was good music and stopped trying to cater to 16 yr olds, enough people would react to quality music that it could still be a profitable, prospering business and people would WANT to buy cd's again instead of downloading it for free.

I'm just sayin though...

No comments:

Post a Comment