Saturday, May 8, 2010

a few words on immigrants/immigration

So Arizona has been in the news quite frequently lately for the new immigration laws they've passed. While I do NOT agree with certain aspects of it (civilian arrests now? REALLY though?!), I think it was certainly a step in the right direction. I think people who are here illegally have NO RIGHTS! I will say this until I'm blue in the face. Your ass should be deported back to wherever you came from. If you established roots here without bothering to become a legal citizen, that's your own problem and should have no effect on your outcome. I shouldn't have to pay for you to receive medical care or welfare or ANYTHING AT ALL! If my relatives could bother themselves to make the voyage here (which they did two generations ago) and become legal, productive citizens of the United States of America, then SO CAN YOU! Yes, I agree that these Arizona laws (lol) aren't pleasant, and probably NOT the best way to remedy the situation but it's a step in the right direction. Ridding the country of illegal immigrants isn't going to be a happy, pleasant experience and I'm sure that some peoples civil liberties will be infringed upon on the way but there is NO perfect solution. In order to acheive great things, great sacrifices must be made.

I'm sure this seems a bit pompous because I AM a citizen and my parents were born here but like I previously stated, my Grandparents emiggrated (sp) here from Armenia and Sweden, respectively, and became legal citizens. There's no reason why Mexicans (and any other group of people for that matter) cant be bothered to do the same. Frankly, I don't even think the process of the "anchor baby" should be adhered to anymore either. Rules and regulations are put in place for a reason and to get to the RIGHT solution, we have to start somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment