Saturday, April 10, 2010

Check it right, you aint white!



That's right folks, it's real and IT'S IMPORTANT! I know that race and ethnic identity and what not can be a touchy subject for some people but recognizing our differences and being able to properly identify ourselves is important. I'll start off with a story. So I was in the doctors office earlier this week for a checkup (nothing serious) and I had to fill out a form just re-verifying my name, address, race and insurance information. Now since jr high, I have always identified myself as a person of Middle Eastern descent. Some forms give you the box to check off, most don't and you have to check the "Other" box and write in Middle Eastern. It's very annoying and as I've understood it, most Arab and Middle Eastern people don't bother to differentiate and just check the "Caucasian" or "White" box.

I can't tell you over the years how much flack Ive gotten for doing this. I didn't grow up with an overly cultural backround. In fact, I didn't even explore my Armenian heritage until I hit jr. high, when I lost my Grandfather. I can remember as a little kid always hearing him talk about Armenia and some of the customs and occassionaly speak the language but it never really interested me. Ive always wished that I paid MUCH more attention to him and could remember some of the things he would tell me. When he passed when I was in the 8th grade, I promised myself that I would explore the culture and learn more about the country and it's people, which is hard because it's a very small country and not a lot of people bother to write about it. I challenge you to go to your local library and look for books about Armenia. IF you can find any, I guarentee none of them will be published after the 60's. We're not a country full of oil or any particular useful exports, so most people don't pay us attention. But we're a country full of traditions and customs and the first people EVER to adopt Christianity as their religion (although I'm not sure that's worth bragging about, lol). We're also the final landing place of Noah's Arc. lol.

Back to my story. So I'm sitting in the Dr's office filling out this form and I get to the race section. There are FOUR (1,2,3,4!!) boxes for Latinos to check off (is that REALLY necessary?!), TWO for whites, one for Asians and one for Black/African Americans. And then the "other" box. lol. It annoyed me. I think it's sad that in the year 2010 we don't recognize the obvious (and maybe not so obvious) racial and cultural differences and have the respect enough to give the proper outlet for people to express these differences. On a larger scale, this relates to the 2010 Census form, which also does NOT include a box for people of Middle Eastern heritage. I know it may be a little late, as I think the Census is due to be mailed in by the 15th of this month (don't quote me on that) but it's important to get it out there so that if anyone (does anyone read this yet? lol) can spread the word, they do it! We should have our damn box on the next Census! lol.

I pay my taxes, I work hard, I vote and I obey the law...now give me my damn box.

No comments:

Post a Comment