Sunday, July 1, 2012

Race

So color me naive...or something else mean but I really don't get certain arguments involving race.  I was just on le Twitter and I saw a tweet from a certain celebrity (I won't say who cuz I'm ashamed to admit that this person and I follow each other, lol) and it said something along the lines of "It's disgusting how VH1 and Bravo are making millions off of these black women acting like fools".  I also didn't want to single this person out because I've heard/read this statement SOOOOO many times before and I don't want people to get bogged down with WHO said it. Regardless of who says it, I still don't understand it. Why would you expect someone to act a certain way SOLELY because of their race?  You don't hear white people complaining about the women on these shows. "Ooo girl, did you SEE Kyle being a bitch at that party?  She's making all us white girls look bad!".  WTF?! lol.  You'd never hear something like that come out of a white persons mouth.  I've never heard anything like that come out of my mouth (and believe me, a lot of shit comes out of my mouth) about that Shahs of Sunset show and how it represents Middle Eastern people.  So what if they're all materialistic and talk shit about each other?  They're only representing THEMSELVES.  Do you hear me complaining about Rob on "Keeping Up With The Kardashians" being a directionless mooch and how he's doing a horrible job representing us Armenians?  No, because he's not representing Armenians.  He's representing HIMSELF.  That's all anyone should care about.  If you're seeking role models and sources of inspiration, reality tv is probably the LAST place you should be looking.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world", I think Ghandi said that.  And it's true.  If you want positive role models for your race (which doesn't even seem like a good idea to me but, hey, lets go with it) then conduct YOURSELF in whatever manner you deem positive.  But no one should ever judge someone else on how they get their paycheck.  You have to hustle hard in this world to provide for yourself and your loved ones.  Some hustles are more respectable than others but as long as its legal and legit, then no one should knock anyone elses hustle.

2 comments:

  1. AGREED! We are all a representation of ourselves. We can't stand for groups of people. A group isn't getting my ass a job, only I am. So I can't worry about what makes that person act which way.

    ReplyDelete