Friday, July 2, 2010

The art of demanding fairness...

So there has been so much drama with work lately. Throughout all the drama, one good thing managed to happen though...I got a promotion! My new position is a lot more stressful that my previous one but I LOVE it. It's a challenge everyday and it ultimately contributes to something that I want to contribute to for the rest of my life (free, easy access to knowledge for EVERYONE). So getting back to the workplace drama...there has been a huge pay discrepancy going on for everyone in our Boston branch. We've all been underpaid for quite some time now, due to our neglegant manager and FINALLY something has been done about it. I wont go into details but basically, each of us was given a small amount of retro active pay. None of this pay was close to what we should've received, so we've been going back and forth with management and such. The situation WILL be resolved soon, I hope, but that's not the point of this entry...

The point is that I had called my Father earlier to talk about the situation. I had the silly disposition thinking that he'd say the same thing everyone else I've talked to about this has said and been like "Well they need to pay you what you should be paid, fair is fair!". I work hard, I've earned my keep, now pay me accordingly. lol. Well, he basically told me that I'm foolish for rocking the boat so hard and I should just take whatever they're willing to give and be happy that I have a job at the end of the day. Now, if he were a man who had a solid career and did good work that he was proud of day in and day out, I might have respected his commentary and marinated on it. But that's not the case. lol. My Dad is one of those guys you can boss around all day long, make him do stuff that's nowhere in his job description, and then pay him as little as possible and he will say NOTHING. I am NOT my father. lol.

I wish that more people valued themselves and the work they do. Granted, what I do is not difficult in the way that I'm not doing any real physical labor and I'm not handling multi million dollar accounts but I'm great at what I do and I'm efficient at what I do. I should be paid accordingly. As long as I'm treated fairly, I'll continue to work hard. That's the bottom line...so stick that in your pipe and smoke it! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment